|Hobby Master Tanks
|Combined (Metal / Plastic)
|10.8×4.4×4.1 cm (L×W×H)
Metal tank M36, available on a pedestal in a plastic box.
The M36 Jackson GMC (Gun Motor Carriage) was a tank destroyer developed by first using the standard M10 chassis with a new open-top turret capable of handling a larger 90 MM M3 gun. The open-top reduces weight and allows for better observation but like the M10 leaves the crew exposed to enemy fire. To offset the weight of the 90 mm gun a bustle counterweight was added to the turret rear and was capable of holding eleven rounds of ammunition. Over 1,700 M36s were produced in 3 variants.
In June 1943 the 2nd Cavalry Regiment was re-organized and became the 2nd Cavalry Group (Mechanized). In July 1944 the 2nd Cavalry landed in Normandy and fought as part of General Patton’s 3rd Army. Throughout WWII the 2nd CG distinguished themselves and earned the nickname “Ghosts of Patton’s Army” for their ability to seemingly just materialize behind German lines. In March 1945 the 2nd CG found themselves in Oberwesel, Germany. Thirteen mechanized cavalry groups operated in Europe during WWII and usually consisted of 3 troops, A, B and C.